Cuski are proud to have produced products that have proved so invaluable in the care of premature and sick babies and children. We are striving to help as much as we can and have urged all units to let us know if there are any ideas they have that we can try and bring to fruition, as we have done so successfully with the innovation of Claire’s Nest and Claire’s Clinical Nest. Below are some links highlighting how Cuski products are and can be used in NICU and SCBU units.
Please continue to read through this page which details all the Cuski products are are currently in use to great effect in units not only across the UK but around the globe.
The Miniboo concept is now being used throughout the UK as part of developmental care within the NICU/SCBU.
Miniboo is an infant comforter that was created to bring comfort and security to babies, by stimulating the baby's awareness of mother/father's unique scent.
They are a useful bonding aid to compliment Family Centred Care, Kangaroo Care and Breastfeeding, within the neonatal unit.
Miniboos are a smaller version of a Cuski specifically designed for use with preterm babies. They are made from 100% bamboo rayon fibre that is absorbent, eco-friendly and has anti-bacterial properties. Voted Best Practice Initiative by Unicef Baby Friendly International Conference 2015, taking neonatal care to the next level. Used as part of the developmental care programme on the NICU or SCBU in UK hospitals.
Our NHS protocol is available on request
The Miniboos will need to be scented by the parents and baby prior to use.
To scent a Miniboo for parents it should be placed in the incubator or cot near to the baby. This is beneficial for breastfeeding mums who can then take the Miniboo home with them for use during expression. Provision of a photo and being able to smell their baby's unique scent can help stimulate milk production during times of separation.
To scent a Miniboo for the baby it should be placed against the skin of the parents. Breastfeeding mums can place the Miniboo into their bra or near their breasts. The scent of mum and her breast milk will then be transferred on to the Miniboo. This can soothe, calm and comfort the baby. Fathers are also encouraged to use the Miniboos.
Studies suggest a baby's ability to smell their mother is one of the most important steps in learning recognition.
Miniboo is kept with the mother/father to pick up on her/his smell, so that when it is given to baby, he or she will automatically detect the mothers/fathers scent, creating a comforting, soothing environment for the baby and the reassurance parents need during the time they are apart.
Miniboo also absorbs baby's unique scent to help stimulate milk production during times of separation.
Recent testimonials from midwives have shown that Miniboo calms baby when they are away from mum by lowering their heart rate, as well as reducing blood pressure.
- Helps keep baby calm when undertaking uncomfortable medical procedures.
- When with mum, Miniboo encourages the let-down of milk making it an excellent way to improve breast feeding.
- Miniboo is used widely in Neonatal Units & Special Care Baby Units across the United Kingdom and beyond. It is now an essential element of any developmental care plan provided on these units.
- Miniboo has proved invaluable for multiple births where siblings have been separated.
- The only baby comforters to have their own NHS protocol/guidelines.
- Miniboo helps to encourage the bonding process when parents are not able to hold their child.
- Miniboo is machine washable and retains its comforting softness, wash after wash.
Miniboo is made from 100% bamboo rayon fibre which is ultra absorbent, anti-bacterial and, importantly, eco-friendly. (Bamboo is highly sustainable and grows organically without the need for harmful chemical pesticides or fertilizers. It has a very short growth cycle, is easily cultivated and is totally bio-degradable. Additionally, when growing bamboo, it produces about 35% more oxygen than normal trees.)
- Suitable from birth.
- Adheres to all safety regulations required
- Dimensions: length 19.5cm
- Please note, in most units plush toys are NOT allowed in incubators, Miniboos and Cuskiboos ARE allowed.
- Available in cream, blue, pink and mint
We can add your charity/trust/unit logo label to each Miniboo. Minimum quantity required for this service
For hospital price list and our latest brochure please email firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively complete the enquiry form below.
Designed, inspired and created by Claire (Neonatal Sister) & Cuski Baby Ltd
For hospital use only
This nest has been specifically designed by Sister Claire Ellerby and the neonatal team at the RVI, Newcastle and created by Cuski. These are a part of developmental care used across the UK and beyond on the NICU/SCBU.
The nests provide the security and boundaries for premature babies that are missing when they are born early. Being born so early leaves the babies vulnerable to external stimuli that can impact on their development. Helps to prevent flailing. They are used to mimic the safety of the womb and to support development.
Provides the optimum environment to contain and support the position of the baby, helping to facilitate normal physical development.
Designed and constructed with safe boundaries and comfort to aid physiological stability and support positive neurodevelopmental outcomes.
The baby is comfortably contained within the nest design by two soft but firm boundaries, positioned around the body and head of the baby.
We advise a temperature is taken prior to placing the baby in the nest and then rechecked within an hour, and adjust incubator accordingly.
The nests provide the security and boundaries for premature babies that are lost or flail when they are born early. Being born so early leaves the babies vulnerable to external stimuli that can impact on their development. They are used to mimic the safety of the womb and to support development.
Two wide straps on either side of the nest are used to provide security and help support the normal flexed posture experienced while in the womb.
- In tests Claire's Nests passed 90 degrees wash, ideally recommend wash up to 70 degrees.
- Use only cool dry setting to keep nests in shape! Save our planet
- Nests are used with medical supervision only, HOSPITAL USE ONLY
- Neonates can be nursed Prone, Supine or Lateral within the nest.
- Neonates can be supportively nursed Prone, Supine or Lateral within the nest.
- Regular position changes in neonates can help reduce head moulding, and provides pressure care relief to support good skin integrity.
- Lateral and Prone positioning has shown to improve digestion and respiratory effort in some neonates.
- Any neonate nursed prone or lateral within the nest MUST be monitored via a cardiorespiratory monitor or apnoea box. This should be discussed and explained to parents.
- Safe sleeping with regards to reducing cot death risk, should always be discussed with parents in accordance with current healthcare guidelines.
- Do not use if any component is broken or missing.
Nest sizes are provided for guidance only. Always assess each neonate individually, and use an appropriate sized nest for their needs. Cuskis Bertie positioning aid can be used to facilitate this.
Temperature control is important when using Claire’s Nest, as it provides a thermal environment for the neonate. The neonates temperature must be checked prior to placing in the nest, and 1 hour later to avoid overheating. Temperatures should be observed regularly. Please be mindful of incubators using humidity and neonates being dressed as they mature, or undressed for observation or procedures. It is advisable to document any changes, to ensure consistency in temperature monitoring and control.
NESTS ARE FOR HOSPITAL USE ONLY.
CONFORME AUX EXIGENCES DE SECURITE.
IMPORTANT — Read the instructions carefully before use and keep them for future reference.
Available in 4 sizes.
- Extra small. For babies <900g
- Small. For babies of 800-1350g
- Medium. For babies of 1300-2250g
- Large. For babies > 2250g
Made from ultra soft combed cotton, ethically manufactured in Turkey.
For hospital price list or if you are a parent and wishing to make a donation of these products to your local unit please email email@example.com or alternatively complete the enquiry form below.
Ultra soft anti-bacterial bamboo muslins used inside nests, incubators, rolled positioners, kangaroo care and assisted bathing.
Cuski positioner - Bertie
Cuski have developed the Bertie Positioning Aid to be used in conjunction with Claire's Nest. Bertie positioned individualises the support provided for the baby in several different positions.
For hospital use only
Bertie is filled with special Polyethylene PE beads that can be hot washed, are supplied with wash bags and are available batches of 12.
New distributor for all Cuski products!
Cuski Baby are proud to announce that we have joined up with Solus & Eden Medical, who will distributing the Cuski developmental care range throughout the UK. Solus & Eden have representatives in hospital units every working day of the week, and will be more than happy to pop in and show you our Cuski products and discuss any on-going orders.
Suzy will however continue to be available at all times to answer any questions you may have or to discuss any new ideas that you think would benefit the babies. Importantly, this new strategy will allow us to spend more time on development and designs.
All your suggestions are truly valued as always so do please keep in touch.
To contact Solus & Eden:
For order enquires in Scotland please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 0131 440 6500 | Fax: 0131 202 0650
Order enquiries in England and Wales please contact email@example.com
Tel: 0345 305 8098 | Fax: 0345 305 8099